A special blog by Organic MP for all those interested to know about the Statistics of Organic Farming in India.
Hi Readers! Thanks for all the love you showed to our previous blogs. Our team at Organic MP is amazed by your response received over the social media platforms.
But today we have bought you a blog that’s altogether different than the ones we posted earlier. Today we are going to share some really interesting numbers.
Numbers that will show you how India is on track to widen its share of Organic Food Industry.
So, come let’s check out the story told by these numbers reported by Govt. recognized institutes.
- Do you also ever imagine how many organic farmers are there in India? Ohkay so here’s the answer:
15 Lakh+ (15,99,010 approx.) in FY 2020-21
- Now an obvious question: How much organic food is produced in India?
Going by the figures of FY 2020-21, you’ll be surprised to know that Indian Organic Farms produced a total of 34 Lakh+ Tons of organic foods.
- So now what about the area under cultivation of Organic crops in India? Let’s dig it out.
Answer: India had a total of 43 Lakh+ Hectares of certified farms (Cultivated + Wild Harvest) devoted to organic farming during FY 2020-21.
- And which state of India has the highest share in Organic Farming? In simple terms which state has the largest area dedicated to organic farming?
Ta da. It’s Madhya Pradesh. In India, the state of Madhya Pradesh has largest area under Organic Farming. Trailing are Rajasthan, Maharashtra, Chhattisgarh, Himachal Pradesh, J&K, etc.
By the way Madhya Pradesh is also the largest producer of organic foods in India.
- Now the obvious question: How much area has Madhya Pradesh dedicated to Organic Farming?
A whopping 16 Lakh+ Hectares of area of Madhya Pradesh is under Organic Certification. That’s pretty good number here.
- Here’s the big question: How much of organic food was exported by India in 2020-21?
8.88 Lakh+ Metric Tons. Oh yes. When it comes to stating organic food exports in terms of quantity, then it becomes important to note that India exported 888,179 MT (8.88 Lakh MT) of organic foods.
And when it comes to talking in money terms, the numbers stand at more than INR 7000 Crores. During FY 2020-21, India’s export of Organic Foods was recorded at INR 7078 Crores or $1 Billion. An increase of 51% from FY 2019-20.
Source: PIB, Govt. of India
- Here’s another interesting stat about the countries where India exported its organic foods during FY 2020-21–
India exports its organic food products to over 58 Nations. US, Canada, EU, South Korea, Israel, etc.
Source: PIB, Govt. of India
Highest Exports of India’s organic foods were to USA. The figures stood at INR 3792.94 Crores. Exported quantity to US: 5 Lakh Metric Tons (500935.95)
Bonus Fact: Highest Organic Production was of Oil Seeds at 8.5 Lakhs Metric Tons
But here’s an honest revelation we want to make to you- All these facts are of FY 2020-21. This means that the data has been collected till 31st March, 2021.
So that’s why Organic MP wants to share the latest update with you.
This fact is straight from the Ministry of Agriculture. It’s because this was shared by the minister himself in the Winter Session of Lok Sabha. This winter session recently concluded on 23rd December, 2021. So, here we go…
ULTIMATE BONUS FACT
- More than 43 Lakh farmers in India have adopted Organic Farming. And with 7 Lakh+ Farmers, Madhya Pradesh tops the list with highest number of organic farmers in India. MP is then followed by Uttarakhand, Rajasthan, Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra. (Source: The Hindu Business Line)
It’s amazing to see how Organic Farming is growing in India. These figures have just started showing the initial phases of organic farming going hit with the Indian consumers. And it’s also a notable news, that India’s Prime Minister Mr. Narendra Modi himself is aggressively promoting Organic Farming nowadays.
So, the future of Organic Farming seems bright enough for India.
If you loved enjoying these numbers, then we would like to gift you a few more links that’ll satiate your hunger to know more about the statistics of organic farming in India. Here you have them: